FAQ | CureBlindness



  • What is the Himalayan Cataract Project’s mailing/postal address?

    Himalayan Cataract Project,

    PO Box 863, Norwich, VT 05055 USA

  • What is Himalayan Cataract Project’s Tax-ID number?

    Our Tax-ID number is 03-0362926. Himalayan Cataract Project is a US registered 501(c)(3) organization. Gifts are deductible under applicable laws. Please consult your tax professional if you have any questions.

  • How do I change my credit card for my recurring monthly donation?

    Thank you for your continued support. If you need to change your credit card, please call us at 802-522-6873 or email us.

  • How do I cancel my recurring monthly donation?

    We thank you again for your support. You can cancel your recurring monthly donation by emailing our development team or calling us at 802-522-6873.

  • I would like to make a donation, how do I do that? What are the payment options?

    You can visit our donate page.

    It is a secure site and you will receive a receipt immediately via email.

    If you want to use PayPal, use this link: https://cureblindness.org/donate/paypal

    If you want to send a check, please make your check payable to “Himalayan Cataract Project” and mail it to:

    Himalayan Cataract Project
    PO Box 863
    Norwich, VT 05055

    We accept foreign checks and currency as well.

    If you would like to gift stock or make a wire transfer, please email us for the instructions.

  • How do I donate by check?

    If you want to send a check, please make your check payable to “Himalayan Cataract Project” and mail it to:

    Himalayan Cataract Project
    PO Box 863
    Norwich, VT 05055

  • Does Himalayan Cataract Project have planned giving options?

    Yes, and thank you for thinking of Himalayan Cataract Project. Please visit our Bequest & Legacy page to learn more.

  • I'd like to make a gift in honor of someone else. How can I do this?

    Many donors choose to make a gift on behalf of a loved one. Fill out the Tribute Information on the Donate page.

  • Can I direct my donation to a specific project or geography?

    Yes. If you are making a contribution by check, please include a note stating which area, country or program you wish to see your gift directed. If you are donating online, please use the Comments section of the online form to indicate your specific designation.

  • Do you accept in-kind donations like equipment or glasses?

    We accept in-kind donations on a case-by-case basis. For the donation for surgical equipment and consumables, please contact Rowan Burke, Director of Procurement. We do not accept eye glasses or sunglasses, and recommend that you email Lions Club International at [email protected] or call at 630-571-5466.

  • More ways to get involved

  • Can I start my own fundraiser for Himalayan Cataract Project?

    Yes, you can start your own fundraising campaign for Himalayan Cataract Project. Click here to get started.

  • Are there any volunteer opportunities at Himalayan Cataract Project?

    Thank you for your interest in volunteering. Fully trained ophthalmologists can volunteer to serve in a training capacity, as opportunities arise. HCP Volunteer Ophthalmologists address the need for trained eye care professionals by providing hands-on training at partner’s institutions or by hosting an international trainee at the Volunteer Ophthalmologists’ home practice. If you are a fully licensed, board certified practicing ophthalmologist and would like to learn more about being an Overseas Trainer or hosting an International Observer at your home practice or academic institution, please email us your CV.

  • Are there opportunities for medical students?

    The few positions that we have for medical students usually involve research projects. For more hands-on experience, please visit the Unite for Sight website.

  • Are there any job openings at Himalayan Cataract Project?

    HCP is interested in hiring highly qualified, dedicated individuals. Please check our Careers page for opportunities.

  • About HCP & our work

  • What is the difference between Himalayan Cataract Project (HCP) and cureblindness.org?

    None. Himalayan Cataract Project is the name of the organization, and cureblindness.org is our URL.

  • Where is the Himalayan Cataract Project located?

    Himalayan Cataract Project is located in Norwich, Vermont, with our clinical base in Stanford, California and our Procurement base in Silver Spring, Maryland.

  • How much money goes to administration and fundraising and how much goes to actually helping people?

    Himalayan Cataract Project directs 71% of our spending to program activities, which include direct service, education and training and infrastructure support.

  • What is the real cost of cataract surgery?

    The materials cost for a sight-restoring cataract surgery is $25. The total cost of finding, screening and transporting the patients, and providing professional surgery and follow-up care is approximately $100 per surgery, depending on the location.

  • My mother/friend/relative needs cataract surgery, can you help them?

    We only provide services in South Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa. If you are in the U.S., you can call EyeCare America at 877-887-6327, they may be able to assist you.

  • Media request